10/02/2013

Fight Against One of the Symbols of Yamagata


To get back home from the seaside (west side) of Yamagata prefecture, I used Route 112. It's a national highway getting across from the west to east in the middle of the prefecture. That means I had to drive through over the high mountain area with my minivan.

Mt. Gassan which is one of the symbolic mountains of Yamagata sits at almost the center of the Yamagata region and that was the target I had to go over.  The elevation of Gassan is 1,984m (6,509 ft) and its mountaintop is always covered with snow except a few months during the summer.

Route 112 runs through the mountainside of Mt. Gassan, but I still had to drive up to 800-900m above sea level with my powerless vehicle.  That was such a tough drive.

But a good thing of this highway is there are a lot of scenic spots on the way.  It showed totally different aspects from those of the coastal area of Yamagata.

FYI:









Lake Gassan
http://en.yamagata-info.com/kanko/murayama/historic/gasan_funsui.html

Lake Gassan
http://en.yamagata-info.com/kanko/murayama/historic/gasan_funsui.html









Follow tomoandsaho on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment